scratch from the past

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

how much is the price of your time, Dad?


As usual Taufik, the Head of a Branch in one of the foremost private enterprise companies in Jakarta, arrived in his house at 9 o'clock.

Strangely, Ichsan, his eldest son who is in the second grade of Primary School was the one who opened the door. Apparently Ichsan had been waiting for quite some time.

"How come, you haven’t slept yet?" said Taufik, kissing his son. Usually, Ichsan would be sound asleep when he comes home from work and just briefly guarded when he departs for the office in the morning.

Following his father into the family room, Ichsan replied, “I was waiting for you to come home, because I want to ask you how much your salary is Dad.”

"Hhmm, why do you ask about my salary? Do you need to ask for some money again?

"Oh no, just curious"

"Okay. You can try to calculate it by yourself. Every day I work for about 10 hours and I get paid Rp 400.000,-. Since every month is counted as 25 working days, how much would my salary be in one month?"

Little Ichsan hurried and took a piece of paper and a pencil from the studying table, while his father released his shoes and turned on the television. Then Taufik moved to his room to change clothes, and little Ichsan followed him.

"If you are paid Rp 400.000 everyday to work for 10 hours; that means you are paid Rp 40.000,- for one hour.”

"Wow, how clever you are, but it’s already late now, wash your feet and go to bed." ordered Taufik

But Ichsan did not move, while watching his father change clothes, Ichsan again asked, "Dad, may I borrow Rp 5.000,-?”

"What’s wrong with you, asking for money at night like this? I'm tired and want to take a bath first."

"But, Dad…"

Taufik's patience was finished.

"I said go to bed!"

The small child then went to his room.

After bathing, Taufik had regretted his reprimanding. He then visited Ichsan in his bedroom. His son was not yet asleep. Taufik saw his son crying slowly, holding Rp 15.000,- in his hands.

While lying and stroking his child’s small head, Taufik said, "I'm sorry, son. I really love you. Why do you ask for money so late at night? If you want to buy toys, tomorrow would be better. Even more than Rp 5.000,- would still be ok"

"But Dad, I am not asking for money, I just want to borrow it. I'll return it next week, after I save from my pocket money.

"Okay…Okay, but what for?" ask Taufik softly.

"I was waiting for you since 8 o'clock. I wanted to ask you to play ladder snake. I only wanted to ask for thirty minutes. Mother always tells me that your time is very valuable. So, I wanted to buy your time.

But when I opened my savings, there was only Rp 15.000,-. And since every hour you are paid Rp 40.000,-; then half hour must be Rp 20.000,-.
But my money is only Rp.15.000,- That’s why I wanted to borrow from you, Dad." said Ichsan.

Taufik fell silent
He was speechless and then hugged the small child very tight.

djakarta
january 10, 2005

-unknown-


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home